Joint venture partners Ørsted and Eversource announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Groton-based marine automation and monitoring innovator ThayerMahan. ThayerMahan is a pioneer in the marine robotics and maritime surveillance industry and the MOU will explore the provision of maritime wildlife monitoring and seabed surveillance services for Ørsted and Eversource's upcoming Revolution Wind offshore wind project.
"When we started looking at growing the offshore wind industry in Connecticut, one of the most important factors was ensuring we are setting up in an area with some of the best innovators and most skilled workforce in the world. Offshore wind is part of the next generation of green energy and green technology, and we need partners who are the best in their industry," said CEO of Ørsted U.S. Offshore Wind Thomas Brostrøm. "The people at ThayerMahan are remarkable inventors, and their technology will help us reduce any disruption offshore wind might have on North Atlantic marine life and the local fishing fleets."
"In addition to the hundreds of well-paying, local jobs that will be required to construct our Revolution Wind project, utilizing local partners like ThayerMahan will be critical to the overall success of our projects in Connecticut and beyond," said Eversource Vice President of Business Development Mike Auseré. "We look forward to working with ThayerMahan to bring our Revolution Wind project to life and advance Connecticut's clean energy economy and achieve its aggressive climate goals."
The MOU reinforces Ørsted and Eversource's commitment to utilize local vendors in the construction and operation of offshore wind projects like Revolution Wind, which will be operational in 2023 and deliver 304 megawatts of reliable, clean energy to Connecticut. The MOU also identifies the many advantages of this partnership and highlights ThayerMahan as a growing business in Southeastern Connecticut. ThayerMahan is well-suited to perform a wide variety of wind farm development and operational functions.
"Ørsted and Eversource have been fantastic partners. We are glad to be part of their plans to fully utilize our local businesses, which have some of the best minds in the world," said ThayerMahan CEO Mike Connor. "This MOU is yet another commitment, in writing, that offshore wind will grow Connecticut's economy and that the joint venture is truly interested in working with our local developers and inventors. ThayerMahan is happy to be a part of this growing industry."
The services that ThayerMahan and Ørsted/Eversource would explore include but are not limited to:
· Marine Mammal Monitoring using passive acoustic, mobile detection systems featuring ThayerMahan's proprietary Outpost sonar system for detecting, classifying and reporting on NARW – North Atlantic Right Whales and other marine mammals
· Environmental monitoring from fixed and mobile systems
· METOCEAN measurements and weather forecasting
· Marine traffic and wind project vessel traffic monitoring
· Seabed Survey and Inspections of undersea cable and monopile systems during construction and operations
· Balance of Plant Services including operations and maintenance of wind turbine generators, monopole foundations, transition pieces, onshore substations and array and export cable surveys
· Land-based real estate and construction consulting services including permit assist, land/purchase assist, zoning and entitlement assist, construction management and monitoring.
Ørsted | orsted.com
Eversource | http://www.eversource.com